Sunday, February 19, 2006

Submitted for your approval

From the Daily Times of Pakistan:

ISLAMABAD: Former US president Bill Clinton on Friday condemned the publication of Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) caricatures by European newspapers and urged countries concerned to convict the publishers.

Talking to reporters after meeting Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz in Islamabad, Clinton said he disagreed with the caricatures and that the publication was against religious and ethical norms. Clinton said he had no objection to peaceful demonstrations being held worldwide, but this was not the time for violence. He said it was the time to promote inter-faith harmony and stand together on the issue.

This story is a few days old. I have not posted anything about it because I am reluctant to believe it. It just does not seem credible to me that Clinton would be so stupid as to say something like this out loud. Not, at least, where it might be picked up and reported on in the English language media. Now understand, I hold Bill Clinton in absolute and perfect contempt. I believe that he is capable of saying something like this in private. Somewhere that he feels that there is no possibility of his words being broadcast, but not in any kind of public venue.

However, the story is getting legs in the blogoshpere and I think that it is going to be discussed on talk radio next week so I'm giving you a heads up. Follow the link. It is to a legitimate (if you can call any media source originating in the Islamic world legitimate) publication.

UPDATE:

As I predicted this is being discussed on talk radio. Rush Limbaugh is taking the report seriously and assuming that it is true. I hope Limbaugh is right. I hope that Clinton has lost it to the same degree that Al Gore has. I hope that he keeps this up so that his bitter-ender lickspittle defenders will have no choice but to come out and say, "I stand firmly with Bill Clinton on the side of the suicide bombers and nuclear mullahs against the United States of America. I, like Bill Clinton and Al Gore, am a blood enemy of the United States Constitution and its Bill of Rights."