Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Non Sequitur

I found this on Kevin McCullough's blog on TownHall:

Because adults refuse to grow up - our children are becoming streetwalkers - at least for Halloween. Kathy Grannis of the National Retail Federation blames Halloween's loss of innocence on baby boomers who can't let the holiday go, with their adult parties and costume contests at bars. "Halloween is no longer a child's holiday," she said. When I was a kid, the last Halloween outfit I had was one of those dime-priced plastic masks that made your face sweat and I was speed racer. Halloween has turned into an excuse for the baby-boomers to excercise a Mardi Gras orgy all across America and its forcing our eleven year old daughters down the exact same path.

Sorry but I don't get it. Why does it necessarily follow that adults wishing to enjoy Halloween means little girls sent out to trick or treat dressed like streetwalkers?

Seriously, just because I choose to go to the local pub's Halloween party dressed like Capt. Jack Sparrow, or Capt. Jack Harkness for that matter, am I then required to dress my 12 or 13 year-old daughter like a crack-whore?

There were adult costume parties when I was a child and the most popular kid's costumes were Casper the Friendly Ghost and Major Mat Mason. If you want to find the reason for the deterioration of the culture you're going to have to try harder than that.