Saturday, January 26, 2008

Not even if I hold my nose

From Time:

Steve Scully: This is a political question in terms of how he gets the nomination, but just from what you have seen, how much support do you think he has among the base of the Republican Party?

Roberta McCain: I don’t think he has any. I don’t know what the base of the Repub–maybe I don’t know enough about it, but I’ve not seen any help whatsoever.

Scully: So can he then go on and become the nominee of this party?

McCain: Yes, I think holding their nose they’re going to have to take him.

Scully: Can you explain?

McCain: Well, everything they’ve done and said. … Now I’m really popping off, but he worked like a dog to get Bush re-elected. …He’s backed Bush in everything except Rumsfeld. Have you heard other senators and congressmen backing Bush over eight years? Find me it–give me a name. I’ve not seen any public recognition of the work that he’s done for the Republican party.

Mrs. McCain, I know you love your son and want to see him become president, but just because he manages to do the right thing once in a blue moon does not mean that we owe him the presidency.

And your son may not get any help from the Republican base but he is getting plenty of help from the McCain base - the left-wing mainstream media, Democrats and independents (otherwise known as liberals who lack the courage to admit that they are liberals).