Friday, January 28, 2011

Selective outrage is not real outrage

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Rush Limbaugh's imitation of the Chinese language during a recent speech made by Chinese President Hu Jintao has stirred a backlash among Asian-American lawmakers in California and nationally.


California state Sen. Leland Yee, a Democrat from San Francisco, is leading a fight in demanding an apology from the radio talk show host for what he and others view as racist and derogatory remarks against the Chinese people.


In recent days, the state lawmaker has rallied civil rights groups in a boycott of companies like Pro Flowers, Sleep Train and Domino's Pizza that advertise on Limbaugh's national talk radio show.


"The comments that he made - the mimicking of the Chinese language - harkens back to when I was a little boy growing up in San Francisco and those were hard days, rather insensitive days," Yee said in an interview Thursday. "You think you've arrived and all of a sudden get shot back to the reality that you're a second-class citizen."

When I find Sen. Yee's equal condemnation of Rosie O'Donnell's outburst of faux Chinese on The View I'll consider that he has the credibility to speak out now.  And I don't mean an after the fact, of course Rosie was wrong too, statement.  I mean a statement of condemnation at the time O'Donnell said what she said.  When I see the evidence that Yee was calling for boycotts of The View's sponsors I'll assume he has standing to speak out now.

I'm waiting for the evidence.


Still waiting. . .

[Crickets]